Comprehending Corporate Universities
Corporate Universities, what are they?
The Corporate University is a concept which shakes our perception of education, university, business and its connection to the world.
Why do companies create their own universities? There are various reasons. Is it because the "finished product" of schools suit employers? Is it because school professors and business leaders do not have the same vision of business and/or education? Is it because individuals and the market do not have the same time measure and the need of skills has consequently evolved? Is it because we are really in an era of democratization of knowledge? Knowledge is created everywhere, including in business, and companies must spread this knowledge to their stakeholders.
We must be careful not to accuse that all educational systems are unworthy. They are merely the mirror of our societies. Many nation-states – not only the poor or emerging ones– are heavily indebted, too bureaucratic, and no longer capable of assuming all their educational responsibilities. They lack resources, competent faculty members, facilities, international openness, etc.
The most important reasons in my view are that large companies find themselves confronted with new needs for skills (technological, environmental, cultural, managerial, communication...) that the educational systems are incapable of providing, for many reasons. They are too focused on the past, and not enough on the future of the business. Not all of them have research and development centres like American Universities do.
Looking at the realities of the corporate universities, two major elements stand out for which they are uniquely able to be effective: corporate identity and strategy. They achieve things that can't be otherwise delivered by any other structure, (internal or external) including business schools for example, which are deemed reputable for being the privileged suppliers of CUs. Corporate Universities have a unique added value which is education in the core business of their organisation, regardless of whether the educational system is otherwise good or bad.
In conclusion, let us retain this very important tenet: A Corporate University is not a training center or should not be one. In a nutshell, it is a lever:
- To embody the soul and the identity of the company
- To face complexity and uncertainty
- To implement business strategies
Corporate Universities are
not Training Centres
We must remove the ambiguity. Corporate universities are not training
centres. The fact that corporate universities coexist with training
centres in companies proves this point.
Read article >
Corporate university is
the generic name given to educational structures based in private
and public, commercial and non-commercial organisations, to help
implement—through education—the organisation's strategies
in human, economic, financial, technological, social and environmental
Comprehending Corporate Universities: a 20-minute
Annick Renaud-Coulon presents her business case for the next
generation of corporate universities, the outcome of more than
15 years of works and global research in this field. The film is
illustrated with exceptional images and videos provided by the
following organisations from five continents:
- Allianz Indonesia Corporate University (Indonesia)
- Beeline University (Russia)
- Defense Acquisition University (USA)
- Edcon Academy (South Africa)
- Groupama University (France)
- Infosys Technologies Ltd. (India)
- Mahindra Satyam (India)
- McDonalds Hamburger University (USA)
- NAB Academy (Australia)
- Gas Natural Corporate University (Spain)
- Tenaris University (Argentina)
- Vallourec (France)
- Valer – Vale Education (Brazil)
- Veolia Environnment Campus (France)
- Embassies of Republic of Namibia and United Republic of Tanzania
GlobalCCU, the Global Council of Corporate Universities, is…
… the aggregator of Corporate Universities on a global scale! The unique global organisation highlighting and gathering Corporate University professionals worldwide, and shaping the Corporate University profession through GlobalCCU CU Certification and the GlobalCCU Forum and Awards.
Our focus is to provide:
Join your peers from more than 50 countries today in our complementary global community, the GlobalCCU Platform.
Click here to REGISTER for FREE!
- HR Partner, Russia, September 2020
- 10 August 2018
E-learn.magazine (USA) published an in depth interview with Annick Renaud-Coulon. She shares her views on how Corporate Universities can successfully fulfill their role in the digital age. There’s a huge future ahead for corporate education. More >
- In the June/July issue of Elearning! magazine, Annick Renaud-Coulon cites her expert opinion on the challenges affecting globalized Corporate Universities and on the impact of nationalist trends that cannot undermine them. More >
Great article in CLO Magazine about the Future of Corporate Universities in the Digital Disruption Age, by Annick Renaud-Coulon. More >
We happy to hear from you. If you have any questions, comments, ideas, etc, feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- 12 May 2020: Benchmarking webinar on Corporate Universities and social distancing, Challenges, Strategies and Takeaways! with Juliano Marcilio, HR Director of Bradesco, Brasil and Annick Renaud-Coulon
- 21 April 2020: Corporate University brand assessment and development webinar presented by Annick Renaud-Coulon
« Thanks for hosting a wonderful session on branding. This session gave us a chance to see how other corporate universities have approached it. It was very interesting to see branding examples around the world. »
« Great session! We got good insights for Corporate University branding aspects. »
« A benchmarking for branding, learning from what others are doing and elements of branding well explained. »
« We were heavily internally focused. This webinar opened up our minds. Thank u. »
« I've got useful tips and insight as well. »
« Lot of insights to brand our corporate university. Thanks a lot. »
- DAU, Defense Acquisition University, the best overall Corporate University Gold Winner 2013, organized a ceremony in front of the entire university for presenting the GlobalCCU Award.The trophy has been displayed in the Pentagon to all the senior leadership.
- 2013 GlobalCCU Awards ceremony held at the Microsoft HQ in Paris, highlighted winners from outstanding Corporate Universities from five continents.
GlobalCCU Forum at Campus Veolia and
at the Sorbonne MORE >
Hugo Pena Brandão, Executive Manager of Banco do Brasil Corporate University (UniBB) welcomed Annick Renaud-Coulon in Brasilia on 17 and 18 March 2016 for filming video lessons for the UniBB Portal.